Title


December 10, 2010

Classical Asian Iyengar Experience

Last night I took my first yoga class in Singapore. On recommendation of David Bennett, I had the good fortune to visit Oasis Yoga where I was lead through a 2 hour Iyengar class, wall ropes and all, by Erika Khoo. In typical Iyengar fashion we began in supta virasana with 2 blocks, 2 blankets, 2 straps, a bolster and an eye pillow and when we are all perfectly set (which is a nearly 5 minutes into the pose) Erika says, "I'm going to wash my hair now, I'll be back in a bit."

For most of us supta virasana is a challenging posture when held for just 3 - 5 minutes, forget the 10 - 15 minutes you spend in it during an Iyengar class and when you add in the Asian sensibility of time, which is none, you might as well just surrender all control because you could be here all night.

I have to admit, it just the kind of thing that I love. I have always envied those who live in cultures guided by their own internal clocks. Though this lack of a coherent schedule can be maddening for many Westerners I love how it prevents me from having an agenda and gives me full permission to show up however I am - late, dirty, ugly, with 5 friends in tow, it doesn't matter. It's not personal. Likewise, the authoritative manner of an Iyengar teacher, completely devoid of options and spiritual metaphors, strips my wandering mind away from its compulsive need to do something, to make better. Instead of focusing on the details and tending to everyone else's needs, I feel safe and supported enough to experience that there is nothing that I can do and it does not matter one single bit.

According to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, this practice of surrendering to the powers that extend far beyond oneself is a matter of aligning with Isvara Pranadanana. Isvara can be described as The Great Unknown, The Witness, The Seer, The Great Teacher or That Which Exists Beyond All Else. Alignment with Isvara requires that we clear away the obstacles preventing us from standing in this aspect of ourselves. For me, it sometimes takes the form of Asian clocks and Iyengar Teachers to realize that I am not responsible for others. And so I practice. I practice letting go, I practice not being in charge, I practice surrendering to the present conditions and I practice not ruminating on the what could be. I practice with Asian clocks and Iyengar Teachers and I practice until this becomes my way and I no longer depend on these tools to align myself within.

Om Nama Shiva!

3 comments:

  1. It is an honor to be traveling and experiencing with you. I am grounded...I let go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, have to say, it's an honor to read your posts. thank you!

    ReplyDelete