Title


December 19, 2010

Defeat!

If there is one thing that I've learned about myself in KL, it is that I persist in my endeavors for way too long. If you read my previous post, you'll understand that yesterday I walked for 2 full hours to get to the museum that was 5 minutes away. Yes it was an adventure and it gave me a story to tell, but it also wore me out and left me with no energy to search for the next location later in the day. In fact, I gave up after 10 minutes on the next go round and it felt great!

I took this as a sign of progress in admitting defeat more quickly. No more hanging on by the hair of my chinny chin chin, oh no. From now on, less persistence. Case in point, today I set out to find the KL Aquaria. The only directions I could find came from some random website and stated the following: From KLCC take an escalator to the basement of the shopping center, turn around and walk through a long pedestrian tunnel, end up in a car park, find a small food court and then head 25 m to the right.

Right. Mainly, I ended up walking around a Malaysian Mall, but at some point after being unable to located the long pedestrian tunnel, I moved above ground. Perhaps a surface level vantage point would serve me. It did not. Even though I found a huge and super detailed street map, I still could not locate myself. I decided I would set out in one direction and one direction only. If that wasn't the way, then I wasn't going to the KL Aquaria. I walked for 10 minutes, maybe, when I ran into a holy Indian man in expensive shoes who told me that I have a very lucky forehead. For the same cost as the Aquaria admission, he told me my very lucky fortune and painted a incredibly accurate picture of who I am. He said that I think too much, but have a clear heart, I care very much for others and have 2 problems: I am hot-tempered and tell all my secrets, neither of which are good for my success. I tell you all these secrets, of course, because I'd like to support his notions as being true and correct so that the fortune he has laid out for me in the coming year also comes to fruition - but that I will tell you nothing about, as it is better for my success not to!

After my chance meeting, I decided that I had walked in the appropriate direction for the appropriate distance and declared the KL Aquaria adventure a defeat. I walked back to the subway and retreated to my hotel room happy to have given up early and eager to plan my exit from KL. I inquired at the front desk about a taxi to the airport and was told it would cost RM90, which was more then I payed getting into the city and an answer I wasn't ready to accept. So I headed online and looked up the Skybus, which travels from KL Sentral to the LCCT (Low Cost Carrier Terminal) for RM9.

The choice seems obvious, I know, but I have barely managed to succeed in my meager explorations of KL and this time there is no option for defeat. It's Bali or Bust!

No comments:

Post a Comment