Title


December 15, 2010

TV

Watching TV is not a past time of mine. It's not that I refuse it for any specific reason, just that I wasn't born with the inclination to turn a soapbox on, but I certainly am not immune to its pull. So when I headed down to the communal area of the hostel just now I came face to face with the uncontrollable suction of the television.

The worst part was that my fellow travelers were watching Eat, Pray, Love. The best part was that the English subtitles narrowly accompanied the English soundtrack. Things like "You barely touched your dinner" was translated into "They trust you" while "I'm not checking out" turned into "I just came out" and, my favorite, "My whole life fits into one box" became "Your life will be better then a box" Hilarious!

Suddenly, I can't for-the-life-of-me imagine what this movie must be about according to someone reading the subtitles. So rather then get sucked into my idea that Elizabeth Gilbert is encouraging American woman to give up their shitty little bourgeoise lives for happily-ever-after-Prince-Charmings, I sit back, relax, read the subtitles and enjoy Julia Roberts, Singapore-style.

No comments:

Post a Comment